Can you think of ten reasons that you love someone in your life? Can you think of twenty? How about fifty?
Nine years ago, we spent the day bowling (my grandfather's favorite past-time) and then to dinner at his favorite restaurant. When we all gathered for dessert, I pulled my cousins into the next room. I handed them their "script" and walked them through how we would proceed from there. They joked, calling me teacher, but this was important to me. It had been my idea, my creation, and I wanted it to be perfect.
My cousins and I stood in front of my grandfather, eighty years young. We each took turns reading from the "book" - a book of reasons why we loved him, why he was special to us, how he had impacted our life.
Now, my grandfather is a cryer. My mom and her siblings inherited it from him. And a few of us grandchildren from our parents. Let's just say there were very few dry eyes in the room.
After the tears had dried, cake had been served, eighty candles had been blown out, and the joviality had returned to the room, my grandfather approached me. He's sometimes serious, but mostly not, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I don't remember his exact words - there was so much emotion involved in the day that it is all a blur - but he asked me to make sure that, when he died and they were burying him, that this book went into the casket with him.
~~~
Today, my grandfather will celebrate his 89th birthday. There have been more memories, more impact, more love to add to the book. But I'll leave that book alone, leave those memories in tact.
I'm looking forward to celebrating with my family this weekend. He may have slowed down some, he may not be so spry. But he will make us all laugh, he'll continue his traditions - and the love will continue to grow.
How have you told someone you loved them today? In how many ways? In how many words?
Here are some photos of my grandfather over the years.
 |
| My grandfather loves to eat! This is his favorite seafood restaurant. |
 |
| My grandfather and I at a family wedding. He only wears a suit for weddings and funerals. |
 |
| Grampie and I on Easter in the 90's. I wrote a post about our Easter traditions here. |
 |
| Grampie hamming it up for the camera. This is him waiting for everyone to arrive for Christmas. |
 |
| My favorite Christmas photo - my cousins and grandparents. |
 |
| Grampie, Grammie and I many moons ago - not sure which holiday this is. |
 |
| Grammie and Grampie before Prom - they are always there for special occasions. |
What a beautiful slice. I am in tears just reading and thinking not only of your love for your grandpa, but thinking of mine as well. He's been gone for 2 years, and it's been so hard. Grandparents are so special and love us in a unique way. I love that you have such a special connection with him. I also found you randomly because our blog names are similar!! I am "Life One Thought At A Time"..... I'm looking forward to reading more of what you write! :)
ReplyDeleteAna
I love this slice! How special to have such a close relationship with your grandfather. How nice that you still live close enough to him to share special days together. I like your reminder to us all.
ReplyDelete