Skip to main content

Blue

blue - /blo͞o/ - adjective
1. of a color intermediate between green and violet, as of the sky or sea on a sunny day.
2. informal (of a person or mood) melancholy, sad, or depressed.

The first makes me think of your eyes.  I look at the sky today and it is such a strong hue.  Your eyes were your most prominent feature, that blue standing out against your white hair and pale skin.  Those eyes.  I am pretty sure they even actually twinkled every now and again, when you were being fresh or sassy, as you were prone to be.

The second is how I feel today - melancholy that you are gone, sadness that you were in pain.  You were so strong, you were so brave, you were so stubborn.  The doctors and nurses and social workers said they had never seen anyone stay so strong faced with so much.  We know you were hurting.  We know you were ready to see all of your angels - Uncle Kenny, your son Kenny, and your great-grandson Cohen - and that you knew you would be welcomed home by them.

I will decorate myself with the pieces of jewelry that were your mother's that you passed down to me.  I will warm myself with the beautiful red wool coat and think of you.  I will think of your strength, and your laugh, and your smell, and your twinkling eyes and remember you.

I love you, Auntie Emily.  I will miss you.  

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you find some peace in all those reminders of your Auntie Emily that surround you. I love your description of decorating yourself with her jewelry. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful ode to your Auntie. It sounds like she is such a special lady and I can tell from your words you cared deeply for her. You will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments welcome - and appreciated!