"But what happens if they come in and see the students drawing instead of writing? What if they ask why?" This question signified a shift in the meeting, away from student work and towards a troublesome mindset created, in my opinion, by the culture of our school.
As a coach, I'm always considering the thinking behind statements or questions, wondering how I can support my teachers, learn what they know and think, and then give them the support, guidance, or resources needed to grow.
This set of questions made me think that teachers are feeling and thinking a few different things: 1) that observers expect "A", and if they don't get "A" they're going to ask why they're not seeing "A", 2) that there is an "A", and 3) that they're not sure of the why. Through probing questions and some frank conversation, we uncovered the reality of the situation.
My role from here on out is to support their shift in thinking. To help them learn more about their why. To investigate what the expectations are and why those are the expectations. It isn't often these days that I leave a meeting feeling invigorated by the coaching work ahead, but today was an exception!
As a coach, I'm always considering the thinking behind statements or questions, wondering how I can support my teachers, learn what they know and think, and then give them the support, guidance, or resources needed to grow.
This set of questions made me think that teachers are feeling and thinking a few different things: 1) that observers expect "A", and if they don't get "A" they're going to ask why they're not seeing "A", 2) that there is an "A", and 3) that they're not sure of the why. Through probing questions and some frank conversation, we uncovered the reality of the situation.
My role from here on out is to support their shift in thinking. To help them learn more about their why. To investigate what the expectations are and why those are the expectations. It isn't often these days that I leave a meeting feeling invigorated by the coaching work ahead, but today was an exception!
Wow - you should feel invigorated! What a powerful coaching moment. The why behind our work, our words, our decisions, our thoughts -- always essential and talkworthy! Can't wait to read about how it goes. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteClare
It was a positive moment in what can often be a frustrating position! But I've been pushing myself to seek out those moments where I can see a small tiny shift happening. Thanks Clare!
DeleteVery insightful to notice the shift. It is also as if they are concerned that the 'they' are out to get them. I appreciate your shift in response to purpose. Will we get more shifts in your slices? I look forward to reading.
ReplyDeleteThey absolutely are concerned about that and we have to honor that while still supporting them in moving forward. We have lots of shifts to make, so they may very well be the focus of many of my slices. Thanks Kristi!
DeleteThat is some amazing work as a coach ... I think that is the deeper level that coaches need to dig into. The mindset, the thinking, the why behind the why. These conversations you are leading are powerful! Hope to hear more!
ReplyDeleteWe have had so much professional development as coaches about listening and interpreting and pushing for the mindset, in the hopes that the changes we facilitate are longer lasting and not just compliance. It was a great step! Thanks Michelle!
DeleteYou attribute this mindset to the culture of the school which makes me wonder about my own situation. Is there is any basis (experiential of perceptual) to teachers' mindsets? Changing their mindset likely won't change the culture if any of the ABC's above are communicated or even micro-messaged unless. This is something that your post will leave me pondering about my own school culture. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your response. I've come back to it a few times. Yes, A, B, and C are absolutely micro-messaged and communicated by only one part of the "they" that (extremely rarely) come into classrooms. We are working very hard to combat that because, as you said, their mindset won't change the culture if the culture is driven by someone who does A, B, and C. We are facing an uphill battle for sure! Curious what your thoughts are about your school. Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteYour post reminds me that we could all probably use more opportunity to learn about our why. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI was extremely lucky to have a principal (who is now upper admin in our district) whose favorite question was "WHY?" When I first started working for him I thought he was being rude or condescending but the more I learned and the more he asked, the more I became purposeful in my decisions and that has served me well along the way. Thanks for stopping by!
Delete