This morning, a group of teachers gathered to look over student work to compare it against the rubric. They wanted to better understand the rubric in order to use it during instruction, to gather information about their students, and eventually have their students use the rubric themselves.
Over the course of the conversation we came across two different pieces of student work, both talking about a character in their books.
One student was talking about a character and used language like "he throws tantrums worthy of an academy award" and "he acts like a spoiled five year old." We were blown away by the voice evident in the piece of writing. But when compared against the rubric, for the type of work we were specifically looking for, it ended up falling short of meeting the standard.
The next student we looked at spelled words phonetically, like "awial" and "deturmend". Comments were made about the spelling and the handwriting. But, when compared against the rubric, for the type of work we were specifically looking for, it ended up exceeding the standard for fourth grade.
We let the teachers sit with that information for a little while and process it. And then we brought report cards back into the conversation. Reminded them that when we are scoring, we are trying to represent and communicate to parents exactly what type of work students are demonstrating at report card time. That their score isn't based on a reading level, but based on their skill with the standards.
Previously, for the student with phonetic spelling and poor handwriting (who also happens to be reading below expected levels), their report card would have been filled with 1's and 2's - which ties together the reading level and the type of thinking that they are capable of doing.
Now, even though a student may be reading below expected levels, we can communicate to parents the high level of thinking work that they are capable of - and that it isn't tied to their reading level.
This was one conversation with one team, but I am hopeful that this type of thinking will continue. Then maybe "I think" will turn into "I see" and students will be judged by what they do, not what books they can read.
A shift is happening.
Over the course of the conversation we came across two different pieces of student work, both talking about a character in their books.
One student was talking about a character and used language like "he throws tantrums worthy of an academy award" and "he acts like a spoiled five year old." We were blown away by the voice evident in the piece of writing. But when compared against the rubric, for the type of work we were specifically looking for, it ended up falling short of meeting the standard.
The next student we looked at spelled words phonetically, like "awial" and "deturmend". Comments were made about the spelling and the handwriting. But, when compared against the rubric, for the type of work we were specifically looking for, it ended up exceeding the standard for fourth grade.
We let the teachers sit with that information for a little while and process it. And then we brought report cards back into the conversation. Reminded them that when we are scoring, we are trying to represent and communicate to parents exactly what type of work students are demonstrating at report card time. That their score isn't based on a reading level, but based on their skill with the standards.
Previously, for the student with phonetic spelling and poor handwriting (who also happens to be reading below expected levels), their report card would have been filled with 1's and 2's - which ties together the reading level and the type of thinking that they are capable of doing.
Now, even though a student may be reading below expected levels, we can communicate to parents the high level of thinking work that they are capable of - and that it isn't tied to their reading level.
This was one conversation with one team, but I am hopeful that this type of thinking will continue. Then maybe "I think" will turn into "I see" and students will be judged by what they do, not what books they can read.
A shift is happening.
I have JUST the book for you to read: Rethinking Rubrics by Maja Wilson. She's a high school teacher, but I believe her work has so much resonance with what we do in elementary as well. Her book made me really think about how I assess student writing.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the recommendation! I will add it to the top of my list to read before the year is out so I can see if it would be a helpful book for my teachers! Appreciate it!
DeleteWow Ashley. I'm so jealous (in a good way!) of the conversations you are helping teachers have at your school! I want to be at your school! These are challenging conversations, but I love that the thinking really comes from the teachers. They can "see" the shift in their thinking -- not just someone telling to see if differently. Keep up the great work and keep sharing these stories here! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you! It has been very difficult to get to a place where we can have these conversations, but I am so happy they are starting to happen. Now to keep the momentum going . . . Appreciate it!
DeleteThis is a wonderful movement, and I am so happy to hear about this small conversation and the change it portends.
ReplyDeleteIt reminds me of two things-
One, when I taught first grade and we discussed how even young kids are aware of their reading level, and those who are "behind" feel it, even while they may be making more progress than those that are at a higher reading level. I decided to quietly let kiddos know that they had grown so many levels! and I also asked the class if they knew who had grown the most reading levels. Of course they could never guess. All of a sudden they saw that child in a way different light.
Second story is when, as a science teacher now, I gave a student the highest grade and a teacher asked me if I had possibly mixed him up with someone else. Not an improper question, as I give over 300 students science grades. But I said, no- I just started writing this second graders science thinking for him and could see how well he understood and put ideas together. He just gave up with the idea of writing down his many ideas and thoughts.
Anyway, good news when we can separate information in useful ways, helping us to appreciate individuals.
I am really trying to push the idea of students being individuals and needing to respond to individuals. At times our mindsets still get stuck on whole class teaching. Appreciate you stopping by to read and comment!
DeleteI love witnessing conversations that show a shift in thinking. So glad the shift is happening for you and your colleagues. It can be an exciting time.
ReplyDeleteYes! I am glad as well. Excited to see what shifts the future holds!
DeleteGreat post, and so true about the shift in thinking about student progress. The idea of measuring growth by looking at evidence in children's work is such an important change in the way we assess our students. I love the conversations you had about this and commend you and your colleagues for taking the time to work together like this!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I am hoping that they see the value in this as much as I do. Grade level meetings have been a place of varying engagement and progress. Hoping this type of conversation continues!
DeleteYes! Assessing the thing you are assessing rather than the method of which the thinking is being shared can be tough to do. How exciting that you are seeing the shift in thinking starting to take place.
ReplyDeleteHoping it continues! Thanks!
DeleteIt sounds like you are really doing some deep thinking about learning, assessment, and communication! That's important work!
ReplyDeleteSo important. Hoping that it continues!!!
Delete