"Thorough preparation makes its own luck." - Joe Poyer
"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin
"Don't expect success, prepare for it." - Anonymous
"I'd rather be prepared for nothing than unprepared for something." -Anonymous
I made my own lesson plan book when I was teaching - that was about three inches thick. My sub plans were usually eight pages long. My conference notes were filled to the brim with evidence and data and observations. Before meetings, I reread notes and readings to make sure I am prepared.
So last year, when I was asked to coordinate state testing at a new school, I accepted the challenge. The year before had been a disaster - lots of riled up staff and students, disorganization, and a drawn out testing window. I pledged to make it all run smoothly! I spent hours organizing, preparing, researching, practicing, creating - all so my teachers would be impacted in the smallest way possible. I considered all levels of teachers, classroom and special education, and how their needs would differ. They were prepared, they were organized - and they all probably thought I was crazy. I walked six and a half miles a day around the school, checking in, tweaking the system, jumping in when hands were needed.
And it was a breeze. Next to no issues, happy staff and students (well, as happy as staff and students can get during testing time), and a proud Administrative team.
So, as testing season comes into focus this year, my anal-retentive, organized, type A side comes shining through. I have a new district administrator who doesn't know how things were done last year, a new co-district-coordinator who I am trying to catch up, new school coordinators who I am trying to empower, and a whole new school whose preparations last year were minimal. Each day, I am tackling a new task, a new angle, a new way of being organized.
We'll be ready. We'll be confident. And we'll tackle whatever comes our way!
"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin
"Don't expect success, prepare for it." - Anonymous
"I'd rather be prepared for nothing than unprepared for something." -Anonymous
I made my own lesson plan book when I was teaching - that was about three inches thick. My sub plans were usually eight pages long. My conference notes were filled to the brim with evidence and data and observations. Before meetings, I reread notes and readings to make sure I am prepared.
So last year, when I was asked to coordinate state testing at a new school, I accepted the challenge. The year before had been a disaster - lots of riled up staff and students, disorganization, and a drawn out testing window. I pledged to make it all run smoothly! I spent hours organizing, preparing, researching, practicing, creating - all so my teachers would be impacted in the smallest way possible. I considered all levels of teachers, classroom and special education, and how their needs would differ. They were prepared, they were organized - and they all probably thought I was crazy. I walked six and a half miles a day around the school, checking in, tweaking the system, jumping in when hands were needed.
And it was a breeze. Next to no issues, happy staff and students (well, as happy as staff and students can get during testing time), and a proud Administrative team.
So, as testing season comes into focus this year, my anal-retentive, organized, type A side comes shining through. I have a new district administrator who doesn't know how things were done last year, a new co-district-coordinator who I am trying to catch up, new school coordinators who I am trying to empower, and a whole new school whose preparations last year were minimal. Each day, I am tackling a new task, a new angle, a new way of being organized.
We'll be ready. We'll be confident. And we'll tackle whatever comes our way!
I am grateful not to have much standardized testing at my school. I am glad there are people like you who love that kind of organization.
ReplyDeleteLucky you!
DeleteBeing organized for this testing blitz is key! I hope you know how much the teachers appreciate your efforts to keep things running smoothly. Good luck with this testing season!
ReplyDeleteI think they do. I heard a lot last year about what a breath of fresh air it was after the disaster of the year before. Thanks!
DeleteConsidering all the needs of every single person under your charge is very helpful! You are a true leader.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteOur testing falls on the shoulders of the assistant principal who does discipline and scheduling and ELL forms and, and, and… She does a good job, but keeping it organized is hard. I'm sure your school appreciates you.
ReplyDeleteThanks. What prompted this post was the first round of testing, which I don't oversee, and it was organized by our VP, who does all the things you mentioned and more. It was hard and some things fell through the cracks. We're working on a better system for the future.
DeleteGlad the school has found a way to utilize your gifts that give you surmountable challenges and the school community a relatively pain free testing experience.
ReplyDelete