Skip to main content

Full

My heart was full four times over today.

I spent the morning with my monthly treat - a manicure. I savored the hour dedicated to something that makes me feel good, feel professional, feel pretty. The woman who does my nails is not a talker, which I love, so it is a quiet, reflective hour. I listened and enjoyed the conversations between the other women in the salon.

Then, I went to my mom's house. My grandfather's 90th birthday is coming up, and we spent an hour decorating "90" shaped cookies for his party. We spent the hour chatting, discussing decorations which I'm in charge of, and watching the UConn women's NCAA game.  As I decorated, I thought about my grandfather turning 90 and what this party is going to mean to him.

After that, I traveled to the house of a fellow committee member, to prepare for this upcoming weekend's St. Baldrick's event. We put together raffle baskets, swag bags for our shavees, and thank you bags for our barbers. We talked about the event, gearing ourselves up for a busy week leading up to Friday night. Heavy in our hearts was the knowledge that this would be the first year without the little girl who inspired the event in our town, who passed away on Christmas morning of last year.

Finally, I had a drink and an appetizer with a friend, another committee member of St. Baldrick's. Over our cocktail and our nachos, we realized that we are both struggling with some similar things in our lives. We laughed, we mulled, we promised to work to get each other out of our funks - or at least to get together more often to fill each other up when we need it.

My heart was full four times over today. Once with contentment, once with love, once with compassion, and once with camaraderie.


Comments

  1. I love your connection to your four areas your heart endured throughout today's adventures. Thanks for sharing-sounds like a fun Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So simple, yet so, so profound.

    I want to pause and think this way.. than you for reminding me how. Life just gets away sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments welcome - and appreciated!