Skip to main content

Final

'I have something to say, but I'm not sure how to bring it up.'

We all looked over, giving our attention to the organizer of our little gathering.

'I feel like maybe this is time to close up shop. To make this our final year. We've all commented on how participation is waning, there are only a few people who are volunteering to help, and, after  last year, it just feels right to me.'

Eyes scanned the table, landing on each of us.

'This is my first year being on this committee, so I don't feel like I really have a say in the matter, so I'll defer to you all and what you think.'

A few heads nodded in appreciation of the deferment.

'I also joined, just not as late, and I don't have as much of an emotional connection to this as the rest of you do. So I'll support moving forward if people aren't ready to say goodbye. Or I'll support saying goodbye if people are ready to do that.'

One small smile, followed by, 'Agreed!'.

'I mean, we are the two who started this, and it was all based out of love. Not to say that that love has gone away, but after her passing, it feels different. Last year was right, as the year to honor her fully. This year is right, as the year to collect and raise as much as possible. To go past this year just doesn't feel right.'

'I agree. So everyone is okay with that decision then? This will be our last year?'

One giant sigh let out.

'Agreed.'

The silence lengthened as we each processed our feelings about heading into our last event together.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Some friends and I are on the committee for our town's St. Baldrick's event, where we raise money to research and fight pediatric cancer. We came together when a child in the school system was diagnosed and began fighting cancer. It continued to grow each year, and we have raised more than $100,000 total over three years. Sadly, the child who our event was started for passed away right before Christmas (and our event) last year.

This was the conversation our committee held a few weeks ago. We've heard a lot of feedback about our decision since, some supportive and understanding, and other feedback downright rude.

Here is my link for donations, if you are so moved and able. Monday night will be a tough night for us all. 

Comments

  1. We had the same type of thing happen in our community. Some teachers started a walk for our local cancer support group when several members of our school family were diagnosed with cancer. We also had some rude comments, but we noticed those comments came from those not doing the work, not involved with the people we honored. When it's time to let go, you know. And you have to block out the rude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard in these circumstances to know when to say when...but your committee has obviously done well in raising donations. I'll bet the rude commenters weren't saying "we'll take this task on"... There is a time and place for everything, as scripture says.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a hard decision but a right one for the group. You have done a wonderful job in the past years. I think if people complain you can ask them to take over the lead. Let them follow through for the next few years. It is important to stay with you thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a hard, emotion-laden decision to make. The way you've written this post really conveys the thoughtfulness put into the decision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People are quick to be rude without thinking about other perspectives and the responsibility to be empathetic. Grief and sadness don't always bring about the best behavior. Your unfolding of the events gave the whole situation a lot of suspense for your readers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments welcome - and appreciated!