{a letter to daylight savings time}
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Dear Daylight Saving,
You know as well as I do that our afternoons and evenings together this week have been glorious. I don't have to tell you that. It's in the songs I'm humming under my breath, the moments I stop and bask in your light, the windows rolled down in my car as our voices blend together in a sweet harmony.
While we're together, time seems to be a concept that ceases to exist. Our afternoons stretch into evenings with bursts of color. But before I know it, our time together is over with one final, glorious burst of color. I delay, I convince myself just a few more minutes with you won't mean that much the next day. Soon enough those streaks of color have faded, and darkness seeps in. But it is a light kind of darkness, if that makes sense to you, a darkness that is never too far from light, the kind that tricks you into thinking that it won't get any darker. And I begin to worry that you're leaving me, tricking me, fooling me.
And then, by morning, your cruel side reveals itself. It's all I can do not to turn over, bury my face in my pillow, and pretend like I have nothing to do with you. You show up, dark, often dreary, and the light you bring is grey and cold. When I can bring myself to face you, I try not to think too much about the joy, the freedom, the warmth I felt not that long ago. Because you have this side to you as well, and I must remember the good with the bad.
Not even the hope of a wonderful afternoon and evening together could pull me out of bed this morning. Your cold shoulder was an unwelcome bedfellow. Your darkness, your cold, your biting wind - they all felt like you were lashing out, unhappy yourself at being this way.
But I've learned to protect myself. I wrapped myself in my most colorful scarf against your grey. I pinned my hair against your bluster and took the day on with force and purpose. I wore sunglasses against your darkness. I wore flats and no socks against your cold. And I made it through.
You didn't come around this afternoon as usual, your colorful and warm self. You kept yourself hidden, shrouded in grey and cold and wind. I have a feeling I'll feel more of your cold shoulder again tomorrow. You may even stay away for a few whole days. I understand. I know what it's like. To feel cold, to feel grey, to lash out at anyone who wants you to be something you're not.
But I know how to protect myself against the darker side of you now. I know how to embrace your warmth and your color and your light until you turn grey and cold. I hold onto those until I know you will come around again.
Until my face is warmed by your light in both morning and night, I'll be waiting . . .
Yours,
Ashley
While we're together, time seems to be a concept that ceases to exist. Our afternoons stretch into evenings with bursts of color. But before I know it, our time together is over with one final, glorious burst of color. I delay, I convince myself just a few more minutes with you won't mean that much the next day. Soon enough those streaks of color have faded, and darkness seeps in. But it is a light kind of darkness, if that makes sense to you, a darkness that is never too far from light, the kind that tricks you into thinking that it won't get any darker. And I begin to worry that you're leaving me, tricking me, fooling me.
And then, by morning, your cruel side reveals itself. It's all I can do not to turn over, bury my face in my pillow, and pretend like I have nothing to do with you. You show up, dark, often dreary, and the light you bring is grey and cold. When I can bring myself to face you, I try not to think too much about the joy, the freedom, the warmth I felt not that long ago. Because you have this side to you as well, and I must remember the good with the bad.
Not even the hope of a wonderful afternoon and evening together could pull me out of bed this morning. Your cold shoulder was an unwelcome bedfellow. Your darkness, your cold, your biting wind - they all felt like you were lashing out, unhappy yourself at being this way.
But I've learned to protect myself. I wrapped myself in my most colorful scarf against your grey. I pinned my hair against your bluster and took the day on with force and purpose. I wore sunglasses against your darkness. I wore flats and no socks against your cold. And I made it through.
You didn't come around this afternoon as usual, your colorful and warm self. You kept yourself hidden, shrouded in grey and cold and wind. I have a feeling I'll feel more of your cold shoulder again tomorrow. You may even stay away for a few whole days. I understand. I know what it's like. To feel cold, to feel grey, to lash out at anyone who wants you to be something you're not.
But I know how to protect myself against the darker side of you now. I know how to embrace your warmth and your color and your light until you turn grey and cold. I hold onto those until I know you will come around again.
Until my face is warmed by your light in both morning and night, I'll be waiting . . .
Yours,
Ashley
This is fantastic. I love letters to things vs. people. This captures so much of your thoughts and feelings in a clever way that speaks to me! Beautifully done.
ReplyDeleteI love this, Ashley! So much in here to admire with the descriptions, the personification, the setting. You've captured to sky really beautifully!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great letter. I bet DST will write back in grey and sign it in a last splash of color.
ReplyDelete