Skip to main content

Woman

I am blessed.

In 1995, when I was in middle school, the University of Connecticut Huskies, a relatively unknown team, won their first National Championship.

In 1999, the United States Women's National Team won the World Cup in an amazing shoot-out.

In the 2000's, Serena Williams were lighting up the tennis courts.

In 2003, Annika Sorenstam became the first woman (since Babe Didrikson Zaharias in 1945) to play in a PGA Tour Event.

In 2005, Danica Patrick entered the NASCAR scene and became the first woman to lead a lap at the Indy 500.

In 2012, Gabby Douglas and Missy Franklin were headliners at the Summer Olympics in London.

In 2014, Mo'ne Davis became the first girl to win a game in Little League World Series history.

Over and over again, I've seen women win and I've seen them lose. I've seen them break barriers and fight barriers. I've seen them overcome odds when they seemed insurmountable.  I've seen them be the first, the second, the last, but be in the race.

On this International Women's Day, I am thankful for the role models I've had over the years. Specifically in sports, because that is one of my passions, but also in the work force, in friendship, in marriage, in family.

Thank you. Thank you for your passion. Thank you for your belief.  Thank you for your strength and determination.  Thank you for being who you are.

Comments

  1. What a wonderful way to honor this day. I too wrote about this day but did not think of this wonderful way to acknowledge women who have shaped our lives and our views of women.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments welcome - and appreciated!